Masonry is not for everyone. It takes a special person to be a Mason. The Fraternity is very cautious and selective in whom they allow to become members. Masonry is a “Way of Life” which in turn is about “Making Good Men Better”. All petitions for membership must be balloted upon, by secret ballot in a regular or “Stated Meeting”. To that end all persons applying for membership into Freemasonry must meet the following minimum requirements:
- The applicant must be a man.
- The applicant must be of lawful age.
- The applicant must believe in a Supreme Being and afterlife.
- The applicant must be of good moral character.
- The applicant must submit to a criminal history background check. Said background check can reveal no felony convictions. (A felony conviction MAY be ignored if the petitioner has been restored to FULL civil rights, including the right to keep and bear arms).
- The applicant must submit to a personal interview with a committee appointed by the Lodge being petitioned.
- The applicant must submit a written Petition (Form is supplied by the lodge) with all fees being paid. This form must be vouched for by two Lodge members.
- Fees for background check are non-refundable. Initiation fees will be refunded if the applicant is found to be ineligible for some reason.